Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
A few weeks ago, I wrote up a quick and easy Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake recipe to make with the kids. Later, my daughter told me “to be fair” I really should come up with a chocolate version. I think she has ulterior motives since she is a huge chocolate fiend. However, who am I to deny the world of a chocolate mug cake? The most important thing is to keep in line with trying to keep this recipe gluten free, top 8 food allergen free and still have common ingredients that you can find. This is not always an easy task but you know I LOVE a challenge! After some testing with the kids, here it is…Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake!
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 3 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 4 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon of vegan gluten free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup or organic raw agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon seltzer
Easy Cooking Directions:
- Have a MICROWAVEABLE mug ready and combine all the dry ingredients first, use a whisk or a fork to mix it. TIP: You want to make sure that there are no clumps of baking powder or cocoa powder in your batter later.
- Add your optional chocolate chips to your dry mixture.
- Then add the oil, maple syrup, vanilla and the seltzer to your dry mixture. TIP: The seltzer MUST be the last item added to your mixture.
- Give the mixture a few stirs with your whisk or fork…till you have a light pancake batter type consistency. TIP: (1) If your batter seems thicker than a light pancake batter then add a teaspoon or 2 of seltzer. (2) The stirring shouldn’t take that long, please don’t over mix it or you will lose those the bubbles from the seltzer carbonation.
- Once your batter is made, you will need to microwave your batter in your favorite MICROWAVEABLE mug. (Please make sure that your mug is microwavable OR you can use a baking ramekin.)
- Microwave at high for 1.5-2min (Unfortunately, the “high” setting for microwaves are not the same amongst brands or models. My microwave averages 2min for this mug cake recipe at high. I recommend that you heat it for 1min and the follow through with 30 seconds at a time, each time you test it by using the “toothpick test”. The “toothpick test” is when you poke the cake into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean with no batter, then the cake is done.)
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
21DF (without chocolate chip):1 YST
Top 8 Food Allergen Free
No Refined Sugars