Vanilla Mug Cake
(Cooking With Your Kids Series)
Day 4 of lockdown for the COVID-19 and I am home with 4 very cabin-fevered kids. Since much of their schooling is now in front of the computer via “remote learning”, I am also limiting their free time in front of the computer. I know this is a dangerous mommy move. Lets face it…kids and adults at this time need to be active and just do something. This is where I came up with once a week… my kids have to learn a recipe and incorporate it into a meal. I made it easy for them and said “snack” could count as a meal. This is when my little guys wanted cake! However, I wanted them to learn a recipe where they could make from beginning to end… that’s where this mug cake came in. Vanilla Mug Cake seemed like an option because all 4 of my kids like vanilla cake. This weekend, my 10yr olds made a mug cake for dessert for all 6 family members and the smiles on their faces told me this was a win!
Enjoy this recipe and I hope you and your children have as much fun as we did making this cake!
Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil (I like to use avocado oil.)
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon of Water OR 7 Teaspoon of Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3 Tablespoon of Gluten Free Flour
- Pinch of Sea Salt
Easy Cooking Directions!
- Have a MICROWAVEABLE mug ready and combine all the wet ingredients (oil, maple syrup, water and vanilla extract).
- To your wet ingredients in the bowl now add all your dry ingredients (baking powder, flour and sea salt).
- Use a wisk and mix all your ingredients together to make a light batter. (The consistency should be like a light frosting.)
- Once your batter is made, you will need to microwave your batter in your favorite MICROWAVEABLE mug. (Please make sure that your mug is microwavable OR you can use a baking ramekin.)
- Microwave at high for 1.5-2min (Unfortunately, the “high”setting for microwave are not the same amongst brands or models. My microwave averages 2min for this mug cake recipe at high. I recommend that you heat it for 1min and the follow through with 30 seconds at a time, each time you test it by using the “toothpick test”. The “toothpick test” is when you poke the cake into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean with no batter, then the cake is done.)
Vanilla Mug Cake
Top 8 Food Allergen Free
No Refined Sugars