Apple Cider Cake
This time of the year we can get organic apple cider by the gallons and who doesn’t love that? We buy 2 gallons at a time, not only to drink but also to cook (and bake) with. This week, I wanted to make a cake that was not ONLY gluten free but also top 8 food allergen free. The fun part of this recipe is not using refined sugar because when it comes to baking, sugar has a role in maintaining the structure of the cake. I finally got it right (after 3 tries) and instead of using white sugar or other sugar substitutes, I opted for some simple organic maple syrup. The result was a lightly sweetened fluffy cake that had a hint of apples and cinnamon. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think?
Apple Cider Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground organic cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tablespoon of avocado oil (or another vegetable oil of your choice)
- 1/4 cup of organic maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of organic apple cider
- Organic oil spray (to be used to lightly oil the pan).
- In a cup, combine the maple syrup and apple cider together.
- Lightly spray your cake or bread pan with oil…just a little to keep from sticking.
- Sift TOGETHER all the dry ingredients (this includes the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt) into a bowl.
- Then make 3 wells in your dry ingredients (see picture).
- Place into the wet ingredients into your wells in the following order: oil (well 1), apple cider/maple mixture (well 2) and then the apple cider vinegar (well 3).
- Combine the wet ingredients to dry ingredients GENTLY until you get a smooth batter. DO NOT OVERWORK OR BEAT THE BATTER, the risk will be that you will remove all the wonderful bubbles created by the vinegar and baking soda…this means a super dense cake!
- Gently pour into your 6 in. cake pan or standard bread pan and let it sit (approximately 10 min), while you go pre-heat your oven to 350 F. Note: You can even use a 9 in. glass pie dishbut this will lead to a thinner cake and shorter cooking time.
- Once your oven is heated to 350 F, place your cake in the middle rack and bake for 25-35min depending on the type of pan you choose. I always recommend that you use the “toothpick test”. This is when you insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out smoothly…it is done.
- Let this beautiful gluten free apple cider cake cool before cutting and you can serve as is or with some vegan whip cream…YUM!
This recipe makes 6 servings.