This is one of the original recipes on my Facebook blog and I thought it might come in handy as we approach the fall holidays. I know that at my grocery store around Thanksgiving, when you spend a certain amount you have a choice of a free ham, whole turkey or a whole chicken. If you happen to have a whole chicken, this is an easy way to cook the chicken. My favorite is to actually prepare everything the night before. I rubbed the chicken with the dried herb mixture and then place the chicken into a large container or zip lock bag. Then in a separate bag or container, I have the chopped onion and parsley; this step saves me time in not needing the cut or wash vegetables in the morning. The next day, I just empty out the contents of the 2 containers into the slow cooker and set it to cook. The resulting dish of this recipe is a fall apart chicken that can be eaten straight with the drippings of the pot, tossed in homemade barbecue sauce or make into a lettuce wrap. The possibilities of how you use the shredded chicken is endless. Enjoy!
Crockpot Chicken Recipe
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 (4lb) organic chicken
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup of cut carrots (or 4 small carrots)
- 1/3 cup of chopped celery
- 4 medium potatoes
- In a small bowl, combine the herbs (garlic powder, dried oregano, dried parsley and sea salt).
- Remove any giblets from chicken and clean the chicken.
- Rub the herb mixture inside the chicken cavity, the outside of the chicken and I like to get the herb under the skin too.
- When ready to cook, place the potatoes “cut side” down, then layer the onions, celery and the carrots.
- The final item to go on top of the carrots will be the chicken, place it breast side up.
No liquid is needed, the chicken will make its own juices. Drizzle the teaspoon of olive oil on the chicken breast, no need for the legs as there is enough fat content there.
- Place the garlic cloves in the chicken cavity and then cook on low for 4-6 hours* I gave a range because some slow cookers can produce higher heat that others, the size of your chicken may vary, or your lid may seal tighter/looser.
- My chicken was done in 5hrs…I like my chicken skin crispy so I pop the crockpot into the oven at 450 for 15-20min to crisp up the top of the chicken. Remember to remove the lid.
- Let the chicken rest for 10min and serve…Enjoy!
This recipe serves approximately 6 (serving is specific for chicken and potato).
Note: There is really not much carrots and celery in the recipe for a full serving, it was more for flavors.
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie
Tree Nut Free
Top 8 Allergen Free
21DF: Use container to measure portion, chicken (R) potato (Y) carrots (G)
Again, There is really not much carrots and celery in the recipe for a full serving, it was more for flavors.