Pea Shoots Shrimp Summer Rolls
Recently, my friends at Pilates Barre of NJ took me to the Happy Harvest Hydroponic Farms. These ladies were working on balancing clean living with clean eating and thought I would enjoy the field trip. I have to admit outside of Disney World’s EPCOT, I have not seen a working hydroponic farm. For those that are unfamiliar with hydroponics, it’s the growing of plants without soil. What it uses in place of soil is a mineral rich nutrient that has been dissolved in water. It really is an impressive process as they use a nutrient film technique or NFT. NFT is when a shallow stream of water containing the dissolved nutrition flows over the bare roots of the plants. This technique is beneficial because it keeps the roots aerated more than your traditional soil growing and it maintains a consistent level of nutrients for your plants. Honestly, I found the whole process so fascinating I could go on and on about it. However, a more delightful treasure that emerged from my trip was that Happy Harvest Hydroponics sent me home with a gift of assorted greens. The superstar of the greens I received was the green pea shoots. Green pea shoots, also known as pea greens or pea tendrils are the young tender sprout of green peas. The leafy green has been used in many Asians dishes for centuries and are making its appearance in many farm to table venues. I wanted to really showcase the fresh flavors of this little sprout and decided to make a summer roll. The grilled briny shrimp balances out the “green” flavor of the pea shoot and is amazing when served with my Asian Ginger Dressing.
Note: Green pea shoots can be found at your local farmers market or at your local Asian market.
Eat greens and be happy!
Pea Shoots Summer Rolls Recipe
- 3 sheets of rice paper wrappers
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped green pea shoots or sprouts
- 1/4 organic Haas avocado (sliced thin)
- 12 peeled and deveined medium-size raw shrimp
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- A large mixing bowl of warm water (approximately 8 cups)
- OPTIONAL:12 strands of fresh chives
Prepping the shrimp:
- Heat a skillet over high heat on the stove.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the hot pan.
- Add the shrimp into the oil gently (we don’t want the oil to splatter on you).
- Make sure you spread out the shrimp and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or till the color of the shrimp is opaque and no longer translucent grey.
- Add a sprinkle of salt to season the shrimp.
- Once done turn off the heat and place the shrimp in a separate bowl. You want to remove it from the skillet or it will continue to cook in the hot pan.
Prepping the rolls:
- Lay out a clean cutting board.
- Place the mixing bowl of warm water next to it.
- Gently dip the rice paper into the water twice and lay flat the rice paper on the cutting board. Don’t hold the rice paper in the water till it is soft, it will soften while it is wet and sitting on the cutting board.
- Portion out 1/3 of the greens and create a row above the 1/2 way mark of the rice paper.
- Then layer a 1/3 of the avocados on the pea shoots.
- On top of the avocado, layer on 4 shrimps across the row of avocados.
- The last layer on top of the pan seared shrimp is a layer of 3 chive strands.
- Fold the top down, then fold the side in and continue rolling down till you get to the end.
- Let it sit for a 2-3 min with the ends facing downward, this will seal it better.
- Serve with 2 tablespoon of my Asian Ginger Dressing.
This recipe makes 3 rolls which is 1 servings.
Pea Shoots Shrimp Summer Roll
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie
Peanut/Tree Nut Free