In my quest to use less refined sugar, I have been experimenting with raw organic agave, honey and maple syrup. However, after a friend gave me a box of Medjool dates, I have found a new culinary gem! These tasty naturally sugary fruits are delicious on their own but when combined in salads, entrees and baked goods, they are amazing! It was when I added it to my smoothie one day, that I thought how wonderful it would be to make a homemade sweetener from this fruit. This could not be any easier with only 3 ingredients and one of them being just plain hot water! Give this recipe a try and this vegan sweetener will come in handy on your gluten free toasts, smoothies or in your baked goods. Enjoy!
Date Sweetener Recipe
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
- If you don’t have pitted Medjool dates, make a slight cut on the side of the date and remove the pit.
- Once the pits are removed from the dates, place all the ingredients into a small sauce pan.
- Turn on the stove top to a medium heat and place the sauce pan on the flame.
- Let the ingredients come to a quick boil, turn off the flame and set the pan on the side.
- You can place the lid on the pan or not… but the ingredients will need to sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the contents of the pan should be cooled. Pour the contents out of the pan and into a blender smoothly, then blend on high for 1-2 minutes.
- The result should be a lovely paste that is wonderful for your pancakes, toast or smoothies…Enjoy!
This recipe will make approximately 1/3- 1/4 cup, depending on the size of your dates. If your dates are very small, reduce your water by 2 tablespoons to prevent the paste from being too watery. Store in an air tight container and place in the back of the fridge, this will last to 2 weeks. (You can also freeze any extra that you make in your freezer.)
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie
Top 8 Food Allergen Free
Peanut/Tree Nut Free
21DF: Use as allocated teaspoon of sweetener
2 thoughts on “Date Sweetener”
This is so perfect, thanks a lot!!
LikeLiked by 1 person