Grainless Chia Crepes
I seem to be on a crepe frenzy lately with my last recipe being a Chocolate Banana Crepe. In my recipe directory, I also have a tapioca based white vegan crepe. Now, for my third crepe recipe, the grainless chia crepe which is also vegan! I don’t know about your world but I think you can never ever have enough crepes. They can be either savory or sweet but that thin layer wrapped around fruit or homemade jam makes me very happy. Today’s crepe is a grainless vegan crepe that uses plantains and chia as a base. My version is filled with a yummy homemade blueberry sauce that is actually very easy to make. I want the crepe to be more neutral in flavor so I used a plantain that was less yellow but not dark green. This means not the super yellow plantain that has a ton of black spots, which is a sign of ripeness. Don’t get me wrong, the recipe will still work but the plantain flavor may be stronger and I prefer more of a savory recipe. As with all cooking, it’s fun to try new ingredients and see what works for you. If you haven’t had a plantain… this is a good time to try it!
Grainless Chia Crepe Recipe
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 6 tablespoon of warm water
- 1 yellow-green (or pale yellow) medium sized plantain
- coconut oil spray
- Mix the chia seeds and the water together, let it soak for 5min and the seeds will bloom. (The seeds should resemble little tiny eggs with a black yolk…its kind of gooey like an egg too! It makes sense that this would make a good egg substitute).
- Place the soaked chia and plantains in the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients till it is smooth and set the batter aside.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Take the skillet over the flame and lightly spray the surface of the pan, then place back on the stove.
- Pour the batter onto the skillet (approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe).
- Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- As the crepe cooks, the edges will start to curl up and the center looks like its starting to set. Gently move the curled edges from the pan and flip the crepe. After 30 secs, you can remove and top with your choice of topping.
- Our in-house favorite filling is our Blueberry Sauce.
- (WARNING: if the center still looks like wet batter, do not attempt to flip!)
- This recipe makes 4 large crepes.
Grainless Chia Crepes
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie
Peanut/Tree Nut Free
Top 8 Allergen Free