Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
I still remember this memory; it was before I became a parent. My husband and I took a road trip to Philly and we did a cheesesteak crawl. Yes, a decade ago my body could process the food and we didn’t have our allergy child yet. Over the years, I haven’t thought about it much but lately I can’t stop thinking about it. It must be all those Rocky re-runs on TV! You need to know a very important thing about me. Once I become obsessed with something, I’m going to run into the kitchen and not come out till I have what I want! After a few tries, this is my cleaned up gluten free (low carb) version of a cheese steak shoved into a pepper. LOL! 😀
- 4 medium peppers
- 1 Lb. of shaved steak
- 1 small onion sliced into semi-circles
- 1 cup of dairy free cheese (I used the Trader Joe’s Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. If you are not allergic to dairy, you can use provolone.)
- 1 tsp of pink sea salt
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
(Preparing the peppers)
- Wash the peppers in cool water and remove all those crazy stickers. (Roasted stickers are NOT tasty.)
- Cut the top off the washed peppers, about an inch away from the stem.
- Before you discard the stem, make sure you trim all the pepper around the stem. We are going to use the pepper scraps in our filling.
- The next step is to remove the internal pulp and seed clusters.
- Give the pepper a rinse and you have now prepped your peppers 🙂
(Preparing the beef filling and finishing the peppers)
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Use a non-stick or a cast iron pan. Heat up the pan over high heat and gently add the meat to the pan.
- Brown the meat and then drain any excess fat (liquid) there might be.
- Add the sliced onions, the pepper trimmings and the spices to the pan with the beef.
- Continue to move it around the pan till the onions and peppers have wilted.
- Once done, turn off the flame and move the meat off the stove.
- You can add more salt to taste at this point.
- Mix a half cup of the cheese to the meat filling and mix.
- Arrange the pepper cavities into your baking pan.
- Portion the filling in to 4 equal amounts and then fill the 4 pepper cavities.
- Use the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, to top the 4 stuffed peppers.
- Place in the over for approximately 10/15min or till the cheese has turned to a golden color.
- (Please watch as depending on the type of oven you have, the cheese can brown pretty quickly.)
This recipe serves 4.