GF Apple Doughnuts
Last week when we went apple picking, as a “treat” all my non-allergy kids got apple cider doughnuts and well….my allergy baby got nothing. So when we got home I promised her that I would make her doughnuts from our giant bag of apples that we picked. She was so excited that she didn’t care that she didn’t have one at the orchard. Now, there is a part of you that is saying…”Jenny, what makes your doughnut different from all the other GF apple cider doughnut recipes out there?” Here is the deal, this recipe is not only gluten free, but it is also dairy free, soy free, TN/PN free, low fat and free of refined sugar! I wanted to make a very clean doughnut that if all the kids wanted to eat it regularly they could. Lets get out my doughnut pan and start baking…ah, did I not mention that this doughnut is baked not fried? 🙂
- 1 cup of sifted oat flour (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup of Namaste gluten free flour
- (Note: Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend is free of Top 8 Allergens)
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of grated apple
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 egg
- spray oil
- 1/2 Cup of freeze Dried Apples or 1/2 oz bag
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- Sift the oat flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, cinnamon into a bowl.
- Place all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl:apple sauce, grated apple, maple syrup, and egg.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together very well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together to create a dough.
- Prepare the doughnut pan with a light spray of the oil.
- Spoon in the dough into each doughnut well…you can smooth the top of the dough with wet hands.
- Bake for 20-30min or test with toothpick (make sure the toothpick comes out clean)
- Cool on a rack
- Take the freeze-dried apples and pulverize in food processor or blender.
- Take the dried apple powder and use it to dust the top of the doughnuts.
Makes 6 doughnuts: 1 doughnut per serving
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie