Black Forest Ice Cream
This recipe is gluten free, soy free and nut free but is NOT dairy-free. Compared to commercial brands this ice cream is indeed a healthy choice. When you see the first ingredient, you will be shocked! This was a request from one of my supporters, she wanted a healthy chocolate cherry ice cream. This is one of her favorite flavor combinations. I normally don’t cook with very much dairy but since she has been so wonderful since the launch of my page, I really wanted to thank her with this recipe.
- 3/4 Cup of Low Sodium Cottage Cheese
- 1 Tsp. of Vanilla Extract
- 5 Tsp. of Organic Cocoa Powder
- 2-2.5 TBS of Raw Organic Honey
- 1/2 Cup of Frozen Cherries
- (Optional): 1/4 tsp. of Almond Extract
- (Optional): 2 tsp. of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Reminder, please use low sodium cottage cheese if not you will have salty ice cream!
- Place the cottage cheese, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and honey in a food processor or blender. I used a Magic Bullet and that did the trick.
- Process and blend till the mixture is smooth.
- Place in a Tupperware and set it aside.
- Clean your blender and then add the semi-thawed cherries and almond extract to the blender and pulse it. (Note this is a matter of personal preference…if you like your cherries to be chunky, pulse it just a few times. If you like a smoother cherry swirl, then run the blender or food processor longer)
- Place your blended cherries into your chocolate container. (You can probably eat it straight away as a soft serve but I’m aiming for a hard scoop!)
- Don’t mix the two mixture, just let it sit in its own location and let it set over night (See the “Before Picture” for reference).
- DO NOT freak out that next day when you take it out of the fridge and you can’t eat it right away! It will be a solid block, remember its low-fat. Take it out and let it sit 15 min to soften a bit and then scoop it out. It’ll be ok…don’t worry so much and just enjoy!
- The chocolate chips is an optional topping. I use Enjoy Life brand since they are free of the top 8 allergens.
Makes 2 Servings