Cleaned Up Blueberry Crumble
UPDATED: Since, this recipe was first written, I have made some adjustments to the type of sugars used. The recipe now only uses non-refined sugar. Also, the original recipe was written in the springtime when fresh berries were more accessible. I have added a tip on what to do when your berries are frozen.
This dessert was created because sometimes a mama just needs to put a smile on her
kiddo’s face. My gluten free kiddo happens to love blueberries, so this dessert was made for her.
Over time the rest of the family grew so fond of it, I started making it for them e
ery weekend. There is a twist to what I use for the crumble. The twist in the traditional crumble ingredient is what makes this dessert gluten free and gives it a nice texture. Give it a try and I hope it becomes a family favorite for you too!
Cleaned Up Blueberry Crumble Recipe
3 Cup Container of Blueberries
3 Tsp of Pure Maple Syrup
3 Tsp of Organic Raw Coconut Palm Sugar
½ Tsp of Cinnamon
***1/4 Tsp of Arrow Root Starch (if using frozen berries)
3 Cup of Air Popped Popcorn
1 Tsp of Coconut Oil
Pinch of Pink Sea Salt
1. Make sure your blueberries are clean and dried
2. Combine the blueberries, maple syrup, cinnamon and 1tsp of the sugar together.
3. Once it is mixed together, put in a Pyrex plate or bread pan and set aside.
***If you are using frozen berries, defrost them in a colander to allow the excess liquid to drain off. Then when you are combining the ingredients to make the blueberry mixture, also mix in the 1/4 tsp of arrow root starch.
4. Take the popcorn and grind in a blender or magic bullet till it becomes a cornmeal consistency.
5. Combine the popcorn meal, coconut oil, sea salt and 2tsp of sugar to make the crumble.
6. Top the blueberries with the popcorn crumble and bake for 40 minutes at 350˚F. The blueberries should be bubbling at the edges and the crumble should be golden brown. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before serving
If you have a milk foamer, foam some unsweetened vegan milk to top the crumble.
Makes 3 serving