This year we decided not to make a ham for Easter. There are many reason why…the sodium, the kids aren’t big on it or just that this mom didn’t spend enough at the market to get her free ham this year…Ahem! Given whatever the reason, we decided to make this Citrus Roast Chicken. My kids love roasted chicken and lemons with herbs always makes me think of spring. Who knows, this may be a new tradition! 🙂
1 (5 lb.) roaster chicken (neck, heart, and gizzard removed)
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. finely chopped lemon peel
1 Tbsp. finely chopped orange peel
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tsp. paprika
½ tsp. dried rosemary leaves
1 tsp. Pink sea salt
1 whole lemon (washed and stickers removed)
2 sprigs of thyme
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Position rack in the center of the oven.
2. Place oil, lemon peel, orange peel, broth, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, rosemary and salt in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
3. Place the chicken breast-side up on rack in roasting pan. Rub the chicken with 3/4 of the dressing, including under the skin and inside the cavity.
4. Insert the whole lemon cut in half and 2 sprigs of thyme in the cavity of the chicken.
5. Bake for 1.5hr-2hr until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers a minimum of 180° F.
6. Base the chicken with the remaining dressing and cover with foil. Let chicken stand for 30 minutes before carving.
Makes 8 Servings-4oz Per Serving:
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie