Allergy Friendly Vegan Stew
We are still meatless this week (except for seafood) and so is my little allergy kiddo. I can’t tell you how touched I am that is she is meatless with me. This is why I have been working so hard to make some new vegetarian and seafood dishes. I want to use our meals to make good memories for both of us. I also want the dishes to work with her multitude of food allergies. Lets face it, some of the traditional vegan protein sources are NOT safe for her allergies. This is why we are aiming to make Top 8 allergen free recipes this week. It was so cold this weekend with a second snow storm, we decided on a stew. The kiddo said we needed something to warm our bellies. It was a BIG weekend for kiddo, she got to wash the celery and peel the carrots while I chopped all the ingredients. As I am cutting, she smiles and says, “I’m glad we are doing this together mama.” My heart was so full of love for her and I told her “Me too, baby, me too!” Looks like we are off to a good start to making memories. Lets get cooking…
Allergy Friendly Vegan Stew Recipe
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 4 cups of chopped onions
- 4 cups of chopped celery
- 4 cups of sliced mushrooms (baby portobello or white mushrooms)
- 2 cups of dried black eye peas (1 Lb. bag)
- 2 Tbs. of olive oil
- 6 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- 1 Tbs. sea salt
- 10 cups of water
- OPTIONAL: flat leaf parsley or cilantro to garnish
- Heat up a large non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, gently add 1 Tbs. of oil to the pan.
- Then add the carrots, onions and celery to the pan. Sauté the 3 ingredients until the onions turn to a bit of golden color. This means not just sweat out the onions till they are tender but cook it down enough so that the onions darken a bit, with the caramelization.
- Turn off the flames and put the vegetables into the slow cooker.
- Heat up the non-stick pan over a medium heat again and add 1 Tbs. of oil.
- Add the mushrooms to the hot pan and spread it out well, to not let them overlap.
- Cook to render the water out of it, the mushrooms will shrink a great deal.
- When the mushrooms have reduced in size and the pan no longer has any liquid, turn off the heat.
- Put the mushrooms in the slow cooker with the vegetables from earlier.
- Rinse the beans till the water is clear and there are no residuals.
- Add the beans, tarragon, bay leaves, garlic, sea salt and the water to the slow cooker.
- Once all the ingredients are in the pot, set it to high and cook for 7-8hrs.
- After cooking, turn off and unplug the pot.
- Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves and serve with your choice of garnish.
The recipe makes hearty 6 servings.
Allergy Friendly Vegan Stew
Clean Eating Gluten Free Foodie
Peanut/Tree nut Free
Top 8 Allergen Free
21DF: 2 1/3G-1 1/3Y-1 tsp